What are essential oils?
Essential oils are typical natural products extracted from different plant species. There are plenty of plant species from which essential oils are extracted. For instance, leaves, flowers, fruits, and stems.
Today we are going to talk about the essential oil market in China, but first, we must introduce the trend of this essential oils market.
KPI and Results focused. We are the most visible Marketing Agency for China. Not because of huge spending but because of our SMART Strategies. Let us help you with: E-Commerce, Search Engine Optimization, Advertising, Weibo, WeChat, WeChat Store & PR.
Because of their mysterious and beautiful functions, they have always considered luxury items exclusively enjoyed by royals and nobles, so they are called “soft gold”.
So it is extremely important for the consumers know how essential oils are implemented in the Chinese market.
Essential oils market in China
During these years, many markets in China have reached a high level of development. As Chinese people are trying to follow a better lifestyle, they are also looking for high quality products.
Due to the development of the country, most of Chinese customers have tried a lot of new brand products, specially local brands products but also foreign products. These days, they choose to spend money on which is worth it.
Nowadays, there is a huge demand in the Chinese essential oils market. In fact, this market developed in 2014 due to the fact that the sales reached 10.3 billion yuan. That’s why Chinese consumers have demonstrated consciousness on healthcare and beautify caring.
Why the essential oils market is growing in China ? There are two reasons. First, there are many users base in Chinese skin care market and the demand is keeping increasing. The number of female who purchase essential oils is constantly increasing.
Secondly, essential oil products were underdeveloped; there is still huge market potential in skin care market.
Challenges to get essentials Oil into Mainstream in China
China has always been one of the most important supplier in the world’s fragrance industry. However, the production and consumption of essential oils has always been in a state of lack.
Many small manufacturers are eager to grab short-term benefits, causing chaos in the Chinese essential oil market. On the other hand, the consumer market, despite its huge potential, has a single form and a weak brand awareness.
For a period of time, consumers’ consumption of essential oil products is mostly concentrated in professional spas, beauty and skin care places, and most of the relevant essential oil brands are sold in these professional places.
From this perspective, essential oil products have caused the status quo of the Chinese consumer market due to their own product characteristics and the limited consumer awareness of them.
How to advertise and sell essential oils in China ?
First of all, you definitely need a Chinese website to get people know about essential oils. The website must be hosted in China. Furthermore, the content must be adapted to Chinese consumer’s taste.
Chinese people are well known to spend the majority of their time online visiting numerous websites. As we know Chinese companies are very competitive, they use many digital channels, beautiful design, good storytelling, and attractive videos and images.
But what is really crucial is the ability to permit people to find you. In order to be found, you must be present on the different digital platforms. Various channels connected to each other give you more opportunities to show your potential.
How did essential oils gain popularity in China?
Thanks to the continuous and sustained development of China’s economy, especially the constant growth of many first- and second-tier cities in China, a large number of high-income classes and middle class with strong spending power have been created.
Due to the dramatic increase in work pressure, the shift in consumer awareness, and the need to improve the quality of life, essential oil consumption has begun to move out of traditional professional places.
Essential oil products are also within reach in shopping mall counters, specialty stores and even small boutiques.
The rapid growth of Chinese essential oils market has naturally attracted the attention of internationally renowned brands.
How promoting essential oils market in China ?
The Chinese market is obviously connected to the digital world, so at the present none could enter such an advanced and big market without a digital strategy. A successful strategy must include many channels to be effective. It is crucial to choose the right one according to your company profile and budget.
As we all know, Chinese consumers are keen on using internet, specially regarding research of brand new product.
E-commerce and live streaming are the current most relevant trend to engage Chinese consumers. However, there are plenty of digital platforms that companies are using to nurture their audience or achieve brand awareness.
To enter the Chinese market, those who want to promote essential oils should consider being present in the following places:
- Baidu: the biggest search engine in China. It is crucial for any brand to have a strong presence on Baidu for credibility purposes.
- WeChat: the most used social media in China. It is used for everything from chatting to shopping online to ordering a taxi and so on. However, if being on Wechat is necessary, Wechat is not a place to gain visibility but rather to educate and nurture your target audience.
- Weibo: it’s a social media that is very useful to build brand awareness. This social media is a powerful instrument to advertise your brand. It also belongs to Alibaba, which also owns Tmall, Taobao, the most popular e-commerce platform in China.
- Douyin: Is definitely the most popular Chinese social media of the last few years and has a massive influence inside the country. Thanks to its sophisticated algorithm the app targets users with relevant content that keep them hooked. It is a great place to promote your brand.
- Tmall: one of the most popular e-commerce platforms in China. Chinese people use this platform for purchasing many types of products. It has a very good reputation that makes it one of the best places to sell wine online since Chinese consumers want to buy foreign wine because of its high quality and for what it represents.
- Zhihu: is a Q&A forum (can be compared to Quora).
Marketing and essential oils in China
When people Chinese consumers look for the purest essential oils, they should analyze what are the companies practices. For example:
- They use certified organic ingredients whenever possible from sustainable sources.
- They don’t dilute the oils or adulterate them with additives.
- They maintain high control throughout the manufacturing process.
- The oils are constantly checked for purity and quality through a variety of tests, preferably through third-party laboratories.
- They provide information regarding where the plants came from and what type of extraction process was used.
- The company promotes the safe use of the oils.
- They have responsive customer service.
They are many essential oil companies such as NOW Foods, Plant Therapy, and Rocky Mountains Oils.
Develop your business in China
SEO agency is a digital marketing agency based in China, Shanghai. Our team has helped several companies to enter the Chinese market and strengthen their position in China.